Five interesting facts about the Portuguese language:
1. It’s the fastest growing European language in the world behind English, due to a lot of people being able to speak it around the world.
2. It is heavily influenced by Arabic due to Islamic Moors from North Africa and the Middle East conquering Portugal and Spain in the 8th century.
3. English has borrowed Portuguese words such as ‘embarrass’ and ‘cobra’.
4. Only 5% of Portuguese speakers live in Portugal, most live in Brazil which has the most Portuguese speakers in one place in the world.
5. Portuguese was officially declared a language in 1290, but it had gradually evolved from Latin after it was introduced into Portugal from as early as 200 BCE.
If you would like to work with a professional translation agency for the translation of your documents from Portuguese to English or English to Portuguese, please do get in touch with the award-winning team at Surrey Translation Bureau.