Five interesting facts about the Estonian language:
1. The first known book in Estonian, a Lutheran manuscript, was published in 1525 but never reached its intended readers and was destroyed not long after publication.
2. There are two groups of Estonian dialects – northern and southern. These groups are historically associated with the cities of Tallinn in the north and Tartu in the south.
3. Approximately one-third of vocabulary in Estonian comes from Germanic languages, mainly Low Saxon.
4. Estonian is a genderless language. It does not have gendered pronouns.
5. Estonian is considered one of the hardest languages to learn because it uses 14 noun cases.
Experts in Estonian translation services
If you would like to work with a professional translation agency for the translation of your documents from Estonian to English or English to Estonian, please get in touch with the award-winning team at Surrey Translation Bureau.