At Surrey Translation Bureau (STB) we work with the full Adobe desktop publishing (DTP) and design suite to typeset translations ready for print or use on screen.
What is our DTP Service?
Our typesetting service involves arranging and formatting translated copy into your design files. Whether your original design files were made internally, or if you work with an external creative agency, we are here to support you with creating impactful designs in other languages. Each language has its own quirks and challenges, which is why we recommend you entrust this step to a professional language service provider, like STB.
We are well-versed in the full Adobe Creative Cloud suite, so if your marketing collateral is created in a combination of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop files, we can help ensure they are consistent and accurate. If you’re using other design software, then get in touch with us to discuss further.
How does it work?
Simply put, we take the translated text and insert it into your artwork files.
Our team focuses on:
- Layout: our typesetters amend the formatting of the translated content in the design file to align it with your original design and layout
- Graphics and images: when there is text on graphics and images in the document, we make sure it fits well with the rest of the design
If you have your own typesetting team, we can also offer separate “print-ready” by native speakers before the document goes to print or is published online.
When do you need the DTP service?
Our DTP service is recommended for a wide range of documents, especially those intended for publication, digitally or in print, where visual presentation is as important as the content itself.
Did you know that a text translated from English into Hindi can expand by 35%, but Korean translation of the same text can contract even by 50%? Our DTP service is particularly valuable for languages that use non-Latin alphabets, including Arabic, Russian, and, Chinese, but also important for languages such as German etc.
You should consider our DTP service for:
- Marketing materials: we will make your marketing collateral look visually appealing in any language
- Operating manuals/user instructions: we will make your manuals user-friendly and visually coherent in any language
- Training materials: visual appeal helps make your training content more effective
Here are our top tips for typesetting projects:
- When writing copy that will be translated remember that specific acronyms might need space for explanation in translation
- Allow some white space in your layout, to allow for text expansion after translation
- Ensure all text for translation is editable
- Please provide us with the entire design package, including project file, fonts and images
We look forward to speaking to you about your typesetting needs. Please get in touch with our friendly team today!