Five interesting facts about Arabic:
- Arabic is an official language in 26 countries, including Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia, to name but a few.
- Arabic has influenced a lot of languages. Even English has many Arabic loanwords such as alcohol, algebra, cotton, giraffe, magazine and sugar.
- Arabic has no capital letters, they instead use quotation marks for emphasis instead of capital letters.
- Arabic has sounds that don’t exist in other languages making it difficult for some non-native speakers to pronounce words in Arabic.
- Arabic words are written from right to left but Arabic numbers are written from left to right.