Five interesting facts about the Flemish language:
- Flemish uses the Latin alphabet.
- The biggest differences between standard Dutch and Flemish are the sounds and vocabulary.
- Flemish people make up approximately 60% of the Belgian population.
- Flemish historically refers to the Flemish Region, one of the three official regions of the kingdom of Belgium. Linguistically, it refers to the culture and inhabitants of this region.
- “Hebban olla vogala” are the first three words of an 11th-century text fragment written in Old Dutch by a Flemish monk.