Five interesting facts about the Chinese language:
- Chinese is one of the oldest written languages in the world, stretching back to around 6000 years ago and has remained mostly the same since it was standardised in the third century BC.
- Chinese has no cases, genders, tenses or plurals.
- There are over 80,000 Chinese characters, although only around 2000 – 4000 of those are in regular everyday use.
- Chinese is a tonal language meaning that a word’s pitch can drastically affect its meaning.
- Simplified Chinese was created by the Chinese government in the 1950s to encourage literacy.
Experts in Chinese translation services
If you would like to work with a professional translation agency for the translation of your documents from Chinese to English or English to Chinese, please do get in touch with the award-winning team at Surrey Translation Bureau.