Careers at Surrey Translation Bureau
Role: Translation Project Manager working from German to English
Surrey Translation Bureau wishes to appoint a German-Speaking Translation Project Manager on a full-time, in-house basis at its offices in Farnham. This is a great opportunity to join a busy translation office and friendly team, working alongside seven project managers within a sub-team of three. This role will report to the Head of Project Management.
Project Management duties
- Dealing with customer enquiries and producing quotations in a timely fashion
- Organising and running multiple translation projects for various clients
- Ensuring deadlines are adhered to
- Preparing files for translation
- Liaising and negotiating with suppliers
- Selecting and assigning translation teams
- Carrying out detailed quality control checks on files
- Updating and maintaining translation memories and termbases
- Taking responsibility for budgets
- Raising clients’ invoices and approving freelancer costs
Linguistic duties (German to English)
- Assessing quality of supplier output on an ongoing basis
- Editing or revising translations
- Performing short translation tasks on an ad hoc basis
Account Management duties
- Liaising and negotiating with clients
- Maintaining and growing relationships with existing clients and creating new client relationships
- Visiting clients as and when required
Education and skills required
Applicants for translation project management roles must meet one of the following criteria and also provide evidence of good time management and project coordination skills from previous employment or through education or training:
- Hold a recognised graduate degree in translation
- Hold a BA degree or equivalent in German and preferably one other language
Additionally, candidates must:
- Speak English to a native level
- Be fluent in German and preferably one other language
- Be committed to quality and attention to detail
- Have excellent organisational skills
- Be able to multi-task and work under pressure
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Have strong IT skills and good knowledge of CAT tools (preferably SDL Trados).
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role directly to Hannah Stacey, Head of Translation Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Surrey Translation Bureau is always on the look-out for qualified and talented translators and proofreaders who share our high-quality ethos. At the moment we are specifically looking for translators to join our freelancer team in the following combinations:
German to English (UK and US)
Swedish to English
Dutch to English
Danish to English
Finnish to English
Norwegian to English
Romanian to English
English to Norwegian
English to Dutch and Flemish
English to Canadian French
However, please feel free to get in contact with us regardless of your language combination, as we do not want to miss out on what could be an excellent collaboration. Please note that we may take a bit longer to get back to you if your language combination is not on our priority list.
- We require at least a BA degree or equivalent in the language that you work out of, and ideally a Master’s in Translation or similar; however if you have 5+ years of industry experience we would also be very interested in hearing from you.
- You can also contact us if you have a recognised graduate qualification in translation or another field, plus two years’ full time professional translation experience.
- In addition, please only get in touch if you have translation memory software, such as SDL TRADOS, memoQ or Wordfast.
- You must be prepared to take a test translation and sign our Translator Agreement upon successful completion. To see an example copy of our agreement, please click here.
Unfortunately, if you do not meet these requirements we cannot consider you.
When getting in touch please indicate:
- Your rates per 1000 source words – if this is not possible (in the case of character-based languages for example) please indicate how you charge
and your rate;
- The translation software you use;
- Your areas of expertise.
Please send your details via email to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Interested in applying for an internship?
When studying modern languages at university, it can be often difficult to know which path to take next. With the internship programmes we have on offer here at STB, we can help that all-important light bulb go off! Our internships are deliberately designed to give you an insight into the world of translation as well as allow you to develop new skills. You will be given the opportunity to explore a whole host of commercially-focused areas including project management, sales and marketing and resource management, all of which will help you gain a better understanding of how the translation industry operates outside of the world of academia. We are really dedicated to providing all of our interns with invaluable experience to help you kick-start your chosen career!
Below is a quote from one of our previous interns, Katie Magill, who is now a member of our valued project management team:
“The internship programme at STB really was a fantastic experience! I had the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of project management as well as how to use CAT tools for the first time, not to mention all the useful linguistic feedback I was given on tasks that I had completed.”
Interested in applying for an internship? Then please send your CV and a cover letter of what you would hope to gain from the experience to our intern coordinator, Amey Higgon, at A.Higgon@surreytranslation.co.uk.
Life at Surrey Translation Bureau
Our office is located in the bustling, historic town of Farnham, where we are blessed with large windows and an array of interesting plants. We’re a relatively small, young bunch with a passion for languages and we have our own in-house translation team who are simply brilliant at what they do. Besides translating, editing and managing projects, we’re also keen on language classes, lots of cups of tea, shiny coffee machines, breakfast on Mondays, cheeky drinks on Fridays, flexible working hours, dead good parties and sponsoring team charity endeavours.
Fun fact: a third of us have worked at STB for 5 years or more! Here are a few quotes from our team:
“I like the variety – every day is different and you don’t know what to expect! It keeps me on my toes.”
“My colleagues are supportive, and there’s a lot of scope for problem solving. Plus, we have a breakfast meeting on Monday.”
“My personal development feels really cared about here – I’ve had a lot of training and I like seeing progress in my work.”