Bengali language factsheet
Bengali is a member of the Indo-Aryan group of the Indo-Iranian branch of the Indo-European language family.
It is spoken by more than 210 million people as a first or second language.
Five interesting facts about the Bengali language:
1. Bengali does not have gender-specific pronouns. However, it does have gender-specific terms, such as actor and actress, and mother and father.
2. Bengali is the seventh most spoken language in the world.
3. The national anthems of both India and Bangladesh were written in Bengali.
4. Bengali is the official language of Bangladesh. In India, Bengali is the official language of the states of West Bengal, Tripura, and the Barak Valley region of the state of Assam.
5. International Mother Language Day is an initiative originating in Bangladesh. In Bangladesh, 21 February is the anniversary of when the Bangladeshi fought for the recognition of the Bengali language.
Experts in Bengali translation services
If you would like to work with a professional translation agency for the translation of your documents from Bengali to English or English to Bengali, please get in touch with the award-winning team at Surrey Translation Bureau.
Surrey Translation Bureau
As an award winning ISO certified translation agency in the UK, we offer language services to corporates, professional organisations, public bodies, individuals and other translation agencies. We have experience translating across almost all world languages and work with specialists in a wide range of fields including medical, legal, technical, marketing, financial, science, the EU and environment.
STB’s mission today is to provide high-quality and customised language solutions for any client – whatever their size – who wants to thrive in the dynamic global market or who simply wants to communicate more effectively with their customers and suppliers overseas.