Armenian language factsheet
The Armenian language, also known as Armenian Hayeren, forms a separate branch of the Indo-European language family.
Armenian is spoken by some 6.7 million people, and is the official language of Armenia.
Five interesting facts about the Armenian language:
1. The oldest traces of Armenian texts can be found in Bible translations from the fifth century, 100 years after Christianity was made the national religion in Armenia.
2. The Armenian alphabet was created in around 405 AD. It contains 31 consonants and 7 vowels.
3. Armenian has a unique writing system with different punctuation to other Western languages. The full stop in Armenian looks like a colon in English “:”.
4. There are two standard forms of the Armenian language. Eastern Armenian is widely spoken in Armenia, Iran, and Georgia. Western Armenian is spoken by the Armenian diaspora living in other countries, including in the Middle East, the US, and Europe.
5. The Armenian alphabet is used to write numbers.
Experts in Armenian translation services
If you would like to work with a professional translation agency for the translation of your documents from Armenian to English or English to Armenian, please get in touch with the award-winning team at Surrey Translation Bureau.
Surrey Translation Bureau
As an award winning ISO certified translation agency in the UK, we offer language services to corporates, professional organisations, public bodies, individuals and other translation agencies. We have experience translating across almost all world languages and work with specialists in a wide range of fields including medical, legal, technical, marketing, financial, science, the EU and environment.
STB’s mission today is to provide high-quality and customised language solutions for any client – whatever their size – who wants to thrive in the dynamic global market or who simply wants to communicate more effectively with their customers and suppliers overseas.