Work with us
Surrey Translation Bureau is always on the look-out for qualified and talented translators and proofreaders who share our high-quality ethos. At the moment we are specifically looking for translators to join our freelancer team in the following combinations:
German to English (UK and US)
Swedish to English
Dutch to English
Danish to English
Finnish to English
Norwegian to English
Romanian to English
English to Norwegian
English to Dutch and Flemish
English to Canadian French
However, please feel free to get in contact with us regardless of your language combination, as we do not want to miss out on what could be an excellent collaboration. Please note that we may take a bit longer to get back to you if your language combination is not on our priority list.
- We require at least a BA degree or equivalent in the language that you work out of, and ideally a Master’s in Translation or similar; however if you have 5+ years of industry experience we would also be very interested in hearing from you.
- You can also contact us if you have a recognised graduate qualification in translation or another field, plus two years’ full time professional translation experience.
- In addition, please only get in touch if you have translation memory software, such as SDL TRADOS, memoQ or Wordfast.
- You must be prepared to take a test translation and sign our Translator Agreement upon successful completion. To see an example copy of our agreement, please click here.
Unfortunately, if you do not meet these requirements we cannot consider you.
When getting in touch please indicate:
- Your rates per 1000 source words – if this is not possible (in the case of character-based languages for example) please indicate how you charge
and your rate;
- The translation software you use;
- Your areas of expertise.
Please send your details via email to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Careers at Surrey Translation Bureau
German > English reviser
Surrey Translation Bureau wishes to appoint a German > English reviser on a full-time, in-house basis at its offices in Farnham. This is a great opportunity to join a busy translation office, working alongside a translation team of 3 translators and 9 project managers.
• Revising/editing of translations, ensuring texts are ready for delivery to the client
• Performing localisation tasks, for example from US English to UK English
• Carrying out detailed quality checks and running quality assurance software
• Updating and proactively maintaining translation memories and termbases
• Ensuring deadlines are adhered to
• Ad-hoc translation tasks
• Occasional office admin tasks to support the project management team
• Opportunity to take on some freelance translation and/or revision and editing in your language combination.
Education and skills required
Applicants for this role must:
• Hold a BA degree or equivalent in German, and ideally a recognised postgraduate degree in translation
• Or have degree level German and meet one of the following criteria:
– Have over five years’ experience as a practicing German to English translator
– Hold a recognised graduate qualification in translation or another field, plus two years’ full-time professional experience within the translation industry.
Additionally, candidates must:
• Speak English to a native level
• Be fluent in German, and preferably at least one other language
• Have excellent organisational skills and be able to manage their own time
• Be committed to quality and attention to detail, while also meeting production targets
• Be able to multi-task and work under pressure
• Be flexible, applying different approaches for different tasks and clients
• Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working in an office environment
• Have strong IT skills and awareness of CAT tools (preferably SDL Trados), plus a willingness to learn how to use and embrace developments in translation software.
Interested in joining the team? To apply, please send your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this role directly to Allison Spangler, Resource Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in applying for an internship?
When studying modern languages at university, it can be often difficult to know which path to take next. With the internship programmes we have on offer here at STB, we can help that all-important light bulb go off! Our internships are deliberately designed to give you an insight into the world of translation as well as allow you to develop new skills. You will be given the opportunity to explore a whole host of commercially-focused areas including project management, sales and marketing and resource management, all of which will help you gain a better understanding of how the translation industry operates outside of the world of academia. We are really dedicated to providing all of our interns with invaluable experience to help you kick-start your chosen career!
Below is a quote from one of our previous interns, Katie Magill, who is now a member of our valued project management team:
“The internship programme at STB really was a fantastic experience! I had the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of project management as well as how to use CAT tools for the first time, not to mention all the useful linguistic feedback I was given on tasks that I had completed.”
Interested in applying for an internship? Then please send your CV and a cover letter of what you would hope to gain from the experience to our intern coordinator, Ruth Bond, at email@example.com.
Life at Surrey Translation Bureau
Our office is located in the bustling, historic town of Farnham, where we are blessed with large windows and an array of interesting plants. We’re a relatively small, young bunch with a passion for languages and we have our own in-house translation team who are simply brilliant at what they do. Besides translating, editing and managing projects, we’re also keen on language classes, lots of cups of tea, shiny coffee machines, breakfast on Mondays, cheeky drinks on Fridays, flexible working hours, dead good parties and sponsoring team charity endeavours.
Fun fact: a third of us have worked at STB for 5 years or more! Here are a few quotes from our team:
“I like the variety – every day is different and you don’t know what to expect! It keeps me on my toes.”
“My colleagues are supportive, and there’s a lot of scope for problem solving. Plus, we have a breakfast meeting on Monday.”
“My personal development feels really cared about here – I’ve had a lot of training and I like seeing progress in my work.”